Would you like the chance to work with a National Irish Organisation leading in its sector?
We are seeking to recruit 2 part time Orientation and Mobility Instructors for both Leinster and Munster regions.
Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind is one of Ireland leading Charities, dedicated to the achievement of independent living and wellbeing of its clients. By working at Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind, you will gain a wealth of experience within an organisation that has the ability to adapt to diverse client needs and the agility to manage in a changing environment. An organisation that keeps quality and service excellence at the forefront of all activities, and that helps our communities to create a meaningful impact.
Reporting to the Client Services and Communications Manager the ideal candidate will be responsible for delivering specialist mobility and Independent Living Skills services which support Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind strategic objectives and bring freedom and independence to blind and partially sighted people.
Working closely with the Client Services Team and Advanced Dog Training team, the Orientation and Mobility Instructor will carry out mobility assessments of client needs for the guide dog service.
· Have a technical understanding of the needs of clients in relation to the range of current products and services available from Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind and partner agencies with whom we work.
· Provide a post-class plan to support client needs and expectations in relation to their chosen mobility journey.
· Input and maintain IGDB client records within given time frames and ensure our data protection policy is adhered to.
· Assessment – Assess the orientation and mobility needs and capabilities (including functional vision) of clients seeking the guide dog service.
· Client Training – Develop and deliver training both at home and in the Training Centre – in line with the specific needs and capabilities of our clients.
· Keep appropriate records of all work undertaken, either on IGDB IS system.
· Contribute to Fundraising initiatives to assist in generating income.
Essential Skills, Qualifications & Experience
Job specific skills
· Qualified Mobility Instructor
· Ability to build rapport with, and obtain information from clients.
· Ability to provide emotional support and to problem solve.
· Skills to cope with people who have complex needs.
Previous relevant experience
· Experience of working with blind and partially sighted people.
· Demonstrate experience of planning, organising and reporting on projects and ongoing work programmes, using close attention to detail.
· Ability to demonstrate instructional techniques, orientation and mobility assessment and training.
· Can carry out residual vision assessment and training.
· Ability to operate and demonstrate vision, hearing and mobility equipment.
· Qualified Mobility Instructor or Rehabilitation Worker e.g. Dip HE Rehabilitation Studies or equivalent.
· Strong report writing skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office including Excel, Word and Power Point
· Experience working with Guide Dog Owners
Hours of Work
· 3 days / 22 hours per week.
A Full clean driving licence is required.
To apply for the role please send a comprehensive CV and supporting letter via email with reference OM2X18 to [email protected]
Closing Date for receipt of applications is 19th March 2018.